What are my rights if I recently quit my job due to harassment over my sexual orientation?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I recently quit my job due to harassment over my sexual orientation?

My stated reason was I do not like how I am being treated. I was frequently referred to by my former boss as several derogatory remarks referring to my sexual orientation. He was rude, condescending, and intimidating. My only evidence is another former employee who was let go by this employer for no stated reason other than he did not like him. Do I have a case?

Asked on December 10, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Federal law does not prohibit employment harassment or discrimination based on employee sexual orientation, but your state's law does: that is, in Connecticut, it is illegal to harass an employee (e.g. making derrogatory remarks; being rude, condescending, or insulting) because of his or her sexual orientation. You may have a legal claim or compensation, and should contact the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities to file a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption