What can I do if I recently moved to a new apartment and during the move some of my jewelry was lost?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I recently moved to a new apartment and during the move some of my jewelry was lost?

While unpacking at the new location I noticed a bracelet and 2 watches could not be found. I called the movers about it and they said they would check the truck. The next day I received a call from the manager saying they found the watches but not the braclet. Upon more unpacking 4 rings are missing as well. I have been calling the manager about my other pieces of jewelry and not getting any reply. I would like to take legal action and would like to know what my options are.

Asked on January 7, 2016 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can try suing the mover for having negligently, or unreasonably carelessly, lost your jewlery. To win, you'd need credible testimony and/or other evidence that the jewlery was in what they were moving but did not get to your new place, so that the court could conclude, by a preponderance of the evidence (that it is more likely than not) that they move must have lost it. Depending on the monetary value of the missing items, suing in small claims court, acting as your own attorney, may be a good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption