If I had window replacements done in my home but am dissatisfied with the product and the work, what action I can take?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I had window replacements done in my home but am dissatisfied with the product and the work, what action I can take?

I haven’t paid anything yet.

Asked on January 3, 2012 under Business Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, try to negotiate or settle with the contractor--that's always preferable to litigation.

If that doesn't work, you can either pay him what is owed, then sue to recover some portion of it, or you could not pay him the full amount, then see if he sues you. The first option requires you to try to recover your money; the second option keeps the money in your pocket and puts the contractor in the position of having to sue you if he wants more--but potentially makes you vulnterable to having a contractor's lien put against your home, as well as a judgment against you (if the contractor wins) on your credit report.

Note that just not being satisfied is not enough: to have legal grounds to not pay, either--

1) the work didn't match the written specs or requirements; or

2) either the work or the product was defective--that is, not up to acceptable commercial standards, or installed broken or improperly, or not the correct windows for your usage, etc.

There has to be something "objectively" wrong--it's not enough that you find yourself not satisfied.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption