What to do about dental malpractice?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about dental malpractice?

I recently had 8 teeth removed by a school of dentistry. Shortly after coming to, I realized I had 3 stitches in the corner of my mouth. I later asked the dentist about this, in which he replied that it was an accident and had no idea when during the procedure it had occurred. This accident prolonged my healing time significantly and left some scarring. I don’t think most people would notice the scarring but I definitely do. It’s right in the corner and kind of changes the shape of my mouth, and now I’m noticing I’m having issues with anything I drink leaking out of that corner. So the question is, do I have a case here?

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Malpractice Law, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is hard to say in this forum if you have a case or not.   I would go and speak with ana ttorney in your area on the matter.  Bringing an action differs from state to state but generally the attorney will obtain your medical records and then probably send you to both a dentist and plastic surgeon to have your issues evaluated.  It should be free to you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption