What are my rights if I recently got fired because of rumors of my having a relationship with someone at work?

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I recently got fired because of rumors of my having a relationship with someone at work?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You may have no rights with respect to getting your job back. That is unless you had protection under a union agreement or employment contract, or discrimination was a factor in your termination, or the circumstances surrounding your dismissal violated company policy.

In an "at will"; employment relationship, an employee is free to work for an employer or not, and an employer can hire/fire as it sees fit, with or without notice. This means that a worker can be discharged for any reason or no reason at all.

However, if you can prove who started the rumor and why you may be able to prove defamation (specifically, slander). Accordingly, you could sue the offending party for damages related you your termination because of their acts. You can speak with a personal injury attorney as to your potential rights/remedies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption