What ca I do if I recently found out that my father passed away and he was remarried but his wife did not inform my brother or I?

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What ca I do if I recently found out that my father passed away and he was remarried but his wife did not inform my brother or I?

What I need to know is do we have any rights to my father’s estate? As far as I know he did not have a Will. I feel that his wife purposely kept his passing to herself, no funeral, memorial, or obituary. When I inquired where he was buried she said he had been cremated. What I can do?

Asked on July 2, 2012 under Estate Planning, West Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If your Father died with out a Will then he died "intestate" and the intesacy laws in your state will apply. If he jand his new wife held everything jointly - bank accounts, property, etc. - then they passed to her automatically upon his death.  Any proceeding would have been filed in the probate court in the county in which he resided at the time of his death.  That is a good place to start.  The proceeding is a public record.  Depending on what you find you may then wish to seek legal consultation to figure out your options.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption