If I recently fell on a neighbor’s property and was injured, can I sue for medical expenses incurred?

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I recently fell on a neighbor’s property and was injured, can I sue for medical expenses incurred?

I got a concussion, 2 herniated discs in my back and a torn ligament in my knee. It is a two-family house.

Asked on March 14, 2014 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can only recover against your neighbor (his home owner's insurance, actually) if your neighbor breached a duty to you as a guest on his property.  For example, if your neighbor knew of a dangerous condition on his property (such as a hole) and he failed to warn you, and that is why you fell, then you have a case.  If you just tripped over your own feet, you do not have a case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption