What to do regarding a change in a divorce settlement?

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do regarding a change in a divorce settlement?

I recently divorced and went to an examiner since it was uncontested. We agreed we would sell the house and split the proceeds. After the divorce was final we both agreed it would be in the best interest for the children and me to remain in the house. I recently refinanced and the house is in my name only. Do I need to let the courts know we came to a different agreement about the house?

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Family Law, Maryland


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

To cover yourself from any future potential liabilities, you probably do need to contact the court and let them know that you came to a different agreement and have the final orders modified by agreement to reflect the same.  If you don't get those orders modified, then your ex- could potentially come back later (always after you have paid down the mortgage) and try to enforce the agreement and take a cut.  If you have the note, protect your interest in the property.  If you are not sure about how to prepare the modification orders, consult with a family law attorney who can make sure the papers are drawn up to protect your future property interests.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption