After receivingan order of satisfaction, how do I know that it has been filed?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

After receivingan order of satisfaction, how do I know that it has been filed?

I received an order of satisfaction from a judgement against me. The form has nothing signed or indicated as received by the court. The law firm has numerous consumer complaints and it is regarded as a debt buyer. I tried to contact the firm but the representative was rude and unprofessional. What is my next step?

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you know in which court the case was filed and the case number, you can go to the court and ask the court clerk to let you see the file when you give the court clerk the case number.  Then, you can see if the document was filed.

If you don't know the case number, you can look in the court's computer in the plaintiff/defendant index for the name of the case.  Look for your name under defendants and you will see the name of the case and the case number.  Once you have the case number, give it to the court clerk and ask to see the file.  You can't remove the file from the court, but can ask the court clerk to photocopy the file or any portion of the file.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption