If I received a subpoena that was left on my door, what will happen if I don’t attend?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I received a subpoena that was left on my door, what will happen if I don’t attend?

Asked on February 20, 2012 under Criminal Law, New Mexico


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Technically the drop off of the subpoena on your door as opposed to the failure of it being hand delivered is improper service of the document under the laws of all states in this country. However, if you do not attend the hearing that the subpoena refers to, you most likely will have an order to show cause for contempt issued against you since it will be your word versus the process servicer's concerning proper service.

Since you have the subpoena in hand, I suggest that you attend the hearing that you are summoned for on the date, time and location stated. You might consider calling the attorney that signed the subpoena about the anticipated subject of your testimony.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption