I received a summons for two automotive infractions to pay a fine. I plan to argue at least one of the infractions, can I do so at that time?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I received a summons for two automotive infractions to pay a fine. I plan to argue at least one of the infractions, can I do so at that time?

I received an infraction for an Improper Turn violation (14-242), along with an Insufficient Insurance (14-2136) infraction. At that date, I had an insurance card with me, but the date was expired even though my insurance was active (the policy number was valid). Could I bring my insurance card to indicate that my card coverage was active while pleading guilty to the other charge and paying the fine? Or does any dispute require a formal court setting with the undersigned officer present, etc?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  I defend people in motor vehicle court all the time.  You need to bring the current insurance card and show that you had sufficient insurance if you did.  as for the improper turn, you need to ask if you can pay some charitable donation and you should apologize for making the turn.  If you were able to afford a lawyer I suggest you do that for $500 as the amount of money your insurance will go up if you plead to any of these tickets (even if the fine is reduced) is well worth the money that you will be saving over time. You can make these arguments on the court date.  If you would like to ask another question before the court date direct your question to JMA.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption