If I received a disorderly conduct, was I supposed to have been read my Miranda rights?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I received a disorderly conduct, was I supposed to have been read my Miranda rights?

And if so, can my case be thrown out do to their negligence?

Asked on July 14, 2012 under Criminal Law, New York


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

            A suspect is only accorded the Miranda protections during a custodial interrogation.  Both elements (i.e., custody & interrogation) must be present before the requirement that the warnings be given.

U.S. v. Erving L. 147 F.3d 1240 (10th Cir. 1998)

State v. Gallegos, 220 P.3d 136 (Utah 2009)




            Custody occurs when an individual’s freedom of action is curtailed to a degree associated with a formal arrest.  The inquiry is objective, and a suspect may understand himself to be in custody based either on physical evidence or on the nature of the peace officer’s instructions and questions.  The Utah Supreme Court set out a four-factor test to determine whether a defendant is in custody for the purpose of Miranda protections:  (1) the site of the interrogation; (2) whether the investigation focused on the accused; (3) Whether the objective indicia of arrest were present; and (4) the length and form of interrogation.




            After the custody determination is made, Utah Courts must next decide, whether the incriminating statement was the product of interrogation.  Interrogation is either express questioning or its functional equivalent and it incorporates any words or actions on the part of peace officers that they should have known were reasonably likely to elicit an incriminating response.

State v. Low, 2008 UT 58, 192 P.3d 867

So, if you where in custody and the police officer interrogated you, your statements can be suppressed(i.e., not used against you in court)

However, if there is independent evidence of disorderly conduct. Suppressing your statements will not make the charges go away.

Hope this helps

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption