I received a broken item from a resale sight.

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I received a broken item from a resale sight.

I recently arranged a trade on an online resell site. And while the system I traded was in perfect working order the one I received didn’t work. Is there anything I can do about it? I didn’t get a phone number or address, only a

first name.

Asked on July 25, 2019 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, there is nothing you can do. You can't sue, such as for a refund or new system, without knowing the address of the other party--you must have an address to "serve" the person with the court/legal papers and gain "jurisdiction," or legal power, over them. Without an address, you can't even contact the police (e.g. to try to report this as a deliberate or criminal fraud) since you don't even know what police (i.e. what city) to contact. Without an address, there is nothing you can do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption