How doI find out ifthe man that I marriedever filed for divorce?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI find out ifthe man that I marriedever filed for divorce?

My estranged husband was very abusive. I left him 21 years ago (moved to 20 states to get away from him). I want to get re-married. How do I find out (for free) if he ever filed for divorce (without him knowing)? Someone told me (not reputable) that he may have re-married. I have her name.

Asked on July 27, 2011 Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If you want to do a bit of your own investigative work to see if your former husband divorced you and remarried, think back if you were ever served with a summons and petition for dissolution. If you were, try and remember which state and county the papers that were served upon you stated and start your research from there.

If you cannot remember, go online with the county and state court house where your estranged husband has lived soon after you left him and see if there ever was a dissolution proceeding filed in his name. Continue the online research as to other county and state court houses near where your estranged husband lived over the years.

You can also do an online search as to the possible new wife since you have her name to find address and telephone number to assist in your search .

There are some online companies that for a fee of $25.00 or so over a certain amount of time would allow you to do online research such as marriage, divorce and people locate.

The above are initial suggestions to start your research.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption