I quit my job of 4 years on October 10th, the regular payday was the following week which I should have received my check but still haven’t got.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I quit my job of 4 years on October 10th, the regular payday was the following week which I should have received my check but still haven’t got.

Under California law , what are my rights? I’ve heard it has to be issued to me 72 hours after I quit even without a noticed which I didn’t give. The regular scheduled payday has passed now more than 72 hours I called them and they it was sent via certified mail but gave no tracking number and even then I live 10 mins away I should have gotten it by now .

Asked on October 27, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are correct: your check was due within 72 hours. Since they are now more than 2 weeks overdue in providing it and won't even respond to you, it's time to take action. You could file a complaint with your state department of labor (Division of Labor Standards) and/or file a lawsuit (e.g.in small claims court as your own attorney, if the amount--including any penalties (see below) at stake is less than the small claims limit; if more than the small claims limit, contact an employment lawyer and bring a suit in "regular" county court) for the money. Note that you may be entilted to a "waiting time" penalty: under your state's law, for each day they are late, you are entitled to another day of pay, up to a maximum of 30 additional days of pay. So at present, you appear as if you may already be eligible for an extra 2 weeks of pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption