If I quit a few weeks back and my former employer refuses to give me my final check, what can I do?

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I quit a few weeks back and my former employer refuses to give me my final check, what can I do?

I worked for an insurance company and my employer paid for my training to receive my insurance license. She is now claiming that we made a verbal agreement that if I quit I would owe her the money she spent on my training. I never made this agreement She will not pay me my last check because she said this money is due to her because of this agreement.

Asked on December 6, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You have to sue her for the money--that's the only way to get it, if she won't pay it voluntarily. Note that employers may not withhold paychecks, even if the employee legitimately owes them money, unless the employee agrees to the withholding, so you should have an excellent chance of prevailing. On the other hand, an agreement that you would repay the training cost if you quit could be enforceable, so she could try to counterclaim against you for the cost of the training. Oral agreements can be difficult to prove or enforce, so it's certainly not guarantied that she'd win; but you need to factor in that you could face a countersuit into whether or not to take legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption