If I purchased my father’s house and it qualified for a property tax exemption, can I refinance my home now and keep the exemption?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I purchased my father’s house and it qualified for a property tax exemption, can I refinance my home now and keep the exemption?

I purchased my father’s home 2 years ago. I am concerned that I will lose the exemption if I choose to refinance my home at a lower rate. I am currently paying the amount of property tax that my father had been paying ($3,200 per year for $500,000 purchase price).

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you refinance the home that you purchased from your father you will not lose the beneficial property tax exemption that was carried over from parent to child on the $500,00 purchase for the following reasons:

1. a refinance does not qualify as a change of ownership status triggering reassessement since you will stillown the house. The only difference is that the interest rate for the loan will be lower saving you more money;

2. if the property appraises for less than the $500,000 purchase that you made for it, possibly you can have the home's value reassessed for the lower amount. This will possibly save you some money on property taxes.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption