How to get a dealer to honor a warranty?

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get a dealer to honor a warranty?

I purchased a used car from a dealership and drove it out of state. Once in my destination, I had a thorough inspection done. Several issues were found and it was determined that the car was in need of repairs. The car came with a buyer’s guide and warranty card, which was not signed by the dealer. It states that the dealer will pay for repair parts and labor under stae law. If this covers my repairs, how do I get the dealership to honor it and how do I receive retribution?

Asked on September 20, 2012 under General Practice, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The only way you will be able to get the car dealership to honor a warranty for the car that you have purchased is to be relentless in demanding that such be honored. Ways to do so are by telephone calls and letters to the car dealerhsip's manager. Keep a copy of the letters for future use and need.

If the car dealership refuses to honor the warranty, then you pay for the repairs and then file a legal action against the car dealership for reimbursement of the costs incurred out of pocket that should be covered under the warranty. I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of automobile law for further assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption