If I provided services off the books and now wont get paid, what can I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I provided services off the books and now wont get paid, what can I do?

I am currently a student at a university. Recently, I bartended an event with other people. The guy in charge said that everything will be off the books and we will get paid in cash, well when it came down too it some of us got paid for our services and some of us didn’t. This guy is a very good liar and is trying to be found by all of us who didn’t get paid. We have his phone number but no answer. Also, there is no information on his company website. I don’t know what to do.

Asked on December 5, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The only way to get your money is to sue him. You sue for "breach of contract," for violating the agreement, whether written or oral (unwritten), according to which you would work in exchange for pay. If you did your part (you worked), he is then contractually obligated to pay you. Suing in small claims court, as your own attorney (pro se), is likely the only cost-effective way to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption