If my son turns 18 but still has 2 more years of high school, when can I stop paying child support?

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son turns 18 but still has 2 more years of high school, when can I stop paying child support?

I presently have custody of my son. He will be turning 18 in about a week. He still has 2 years of school left.Iif he goes to live with his mother after he turns 18 will I still be required to pay support; in OH?

Asked on July 28, 2011 Pennsylvania


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to review your child support agreement to determine if you still need to pay for your son. If you have custody of your son, generally then you only pay until he turns 18 or until he finishes college (in some states, for example, this is allowed and ordered in child support orders). So if you have him go live with his mother when he turns 18, and your custody agreement requires you to pay until he completes college, you may be in for a while. Consider getting a clarification of your custody order if this is an issue. Otherwise, you no longer have to provide for him (even if he still has two years left of high school) if the custody order only requires you to pay until he is 18.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption