What to do if I posted a rant on FaceBook during my lunch break and I got suspended from work for it?

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I posted a rant on FaceBook during my lunch break and I got suspended from work for it?

I just want to see if there is anything I can/should do about this. I have to go to anger management class because of the rant. The rant didn’t say anything about my company or company’s clients. I feel this is a violation of my 1st amendment rights and possibly my 4th amendment rights, since the way they obtained the rant was through an outside source not affiliated with my FaceBook account.

Asked on March 14, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Although you have a first amendment right to certain forms of free speech, unfortunately that speech may restricted by employers if it is considered to incite violence within the workplace. Also, because this appears to have been done outside of the company's premieses and control, the major issue if you plan to seek some form of litigation against the company is whether or not the company, its employees, or affliates were implicated in the rant. Contact a labor or employment law attorney in your area for further guidance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption