If I plan on suing in small claims court but I do not have a permanent street address, will my P.O. box suffice?

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I plan on suing in small claims court but I do not have a permanent street address, will my P.O. box suffice?

I do have all the required info of the defendant. I was just wondering if my lack of a street address would void my claim and become a hindrance upon winning my trial/ collecting the judgment.

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Not necessarily but you may wish to consider using someone else's address if possible or if you need a permanent address, see if you would be better off hiring an attorney to help you. A P.O. Box is not a hinderence but the court will question why you don't have a permanent address and the motivation behind the suit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption