What to do if I pay rent to use a gym to train my clients and now the gym owner wants me to wear a gym shirt to look like an employee?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I pay rent to use a gym to train my clients and now the gym owner wants me to wear a gym shirt to look like an employee?

I am a personal fitness trainer and have my own client base that pays me directly. I am renting space from a local studio to conduct training. Now the studio gym owner wants me to wear his shirt so that I look like an employee. And he says that I cannot advertise my business using the company address. Can he make me represent his company even though I am not an employee or a contracted worker? Do I have the right to use the address as I am paying rent to use the place?

Asked on January 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

For as long as your current lease is in force, the gym owner cannot change or add to the terms--so if you are paying for the space and your only obligation is to pay, that's all you have to do.

When the term of this lease is up, the owner may refuse to re-rent it to you, or may re-rent it only if you agree to new or additional conditions.

If you do not have a written lease, then you are a month-to-month tenant; in that case, the gym owner could give you 30 days notice that he is terminating or lease or changing the terms.

If you agree to changed terms, they could include wearing the shirt, not advertising, etc.; so if and when the lease is up and the owner wants you to do these things, you'll have to decide if you're willing to, or you'd rather seek alternate space elsewhere.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption