What are a father’s rights/responsibilities regarding his duty to pay child suppport?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are a father’s rights/responsibilities regarding his duty to pay child suppport?

I pay child support to one state and live in another. Our divorce decree is 50/50 no support. However, after I moved she got state aid because she was pregnant from another man and so the state came after me for support. She is planning on moving out of state in 2 weeks. She has not given me any notice nor has she told the court. If she moves, will I have to continue to pay support even though she will no longer live in her present state and will no longer receive aid? Again, my decree states 50/50.

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Good question. So long as there is a child support order with respect to payment obligations for a minor child in effect, you are obligated under the laws of all states to continue making the court ordered payments when due. As such, if you wish to stop payments under the order, you need to file a petition with the court where the order was issued and is in effect seeking that such discontinue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption