I paid the owner for his property

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I paid the owner for his property

It’s been 2 weeks and haven’t received
the deed for the property..the owner is
ignoring my calls and will not send me
the deed..ive made a police report and
police officers went to his house and he
told them he sent deed in for
recording..but the recording authority
said no deed came to them..je is lying

Asked on October 6, 2019 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can file a lawsuit against him seeking both a court order that he turn the deed over to you and also seeking monetary compensation, such as the equivalent "rent" for this property for the time until he turns the deed over to you, on the theory that you don't have full legal possession yet and so he should pay you for the time that he still has legal possession. You file the lawsuit based on "breach of contract": on his violating his contractual obligations. There was an agreement that he'd sell the property to you, which includes turning over the deed to you, in exchange for you paying him; since you fulfilled your obligation (paid him), he is contractually obligated to fulfill his, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption