What to do if I paid off a judgement 3 years ago that still shows as unpaid on my credit?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I paid off a judgement 3 years ago that still shows as unpaid on my credit?

What actions or direction do I take? Only thing I have is 2 pay stub that show no more garnishment being taken out but doesn’t show total amount paid.

Asked on January 3, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I would write the former judgment creditor a note with a copy of the full satisfaction of judgment enclosed requesting that such be dated, signed and returned to you so you can recor dit in the county recorder's office where the judgment presumably was recorded. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

If you do not get the return of the full satisfaction of judgment, your legal recourse is to file a petition with the court for an order that the judgment has been satisfied in full.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption