I paid my ex wife medical bill so I can see a dr, can I consider that as alimony paid?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I paid my ex wife medical bill so I can see a dr, can I consider that as alimony paid?

She has a medical bill incurred while we were
married. The office won’t let me see a dr until
the bill is paid. I have to drive at least 25
minutes just to see a dr. The office I am
trying to go to is 5 minutes away. If I pay her
bill, which is in judgment, can I consider that
as alimony paid since the decree states that
her bills are hers and mine are mine?

Asked on March 8, 2018 under Family Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot. Alimony is alimony--other payments you voluntarily make over and above what you are ordered to pay do not affect your alimony obligations and are not credited vs. alimony. People can choose to pay more than required; doing so does not reduce the requirements. That is especially so when you derive a personal benefit (clearing up the bill so *you* can see this doctor) and so did so for yourself, not her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption