I owned my house a couples months before we got married, will I lose it

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I owned my house a couples months before we got married, will I lose it

We are at the beginning of the end and are possibly headed to a divorce. I bought
my house in april and we were married the end of July. Does that have any barring
on who would get the house.

We do have 2 kids together and she has one from a previous marriage. We are
looking at shared 50/50 split of custody

Asked on January 16, 2018 under Family Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You need to go and see an attorney on a consultation in this matter.  The general rule is that assets acquired prior to marriage are separate property.  The can become marital or quasi-maritla property if, say, you put her name on the deed or she improved the property to increase its value.  Seems unlikely here but again, seek consultation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption