If someone is injured while renting my lot, am I responsible?

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone is injured while renting my lot, am I responsible?

I own some land and am renting a lot to someone who has a trailer on it.

Asked on October 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, as the landowner, you are liable for injuries whether the injured person is a tenant, guest or trespasser.  Your liability would include injuries occurring on your property and/or if something on your property injured someone off the property.

The insurance you have on your property should handle this in the event of a claim filed against you.  If the case is settled with the insurance company, NO lawsuit is filed.  If the case is NOT settled and a lawsuit is filed against you, refer the matter to your insurance company and your insurance company will handle it for you and will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption