What to do about a tenant who will not pay?

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a tenant who will not pay?

I own and live in a townhouse. About 4 months ago, a ‘friend” moved into a spare bedroom. There was no lease offered to him since we’ve known each other for 2 years. He paid the first month’s rent but since then he’s gone 3 months without paying a dime, even though bills (utilities, internet, mortgage) are due on a monthly basis. I have asked him several time for rent. He has a job and just bought a used car. Can I legally give him 30 days to vacated to property? How can I make sure I still get the rent due to me?

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Nebraska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written it appears that you have a tenant at your home on a month-to-month lease. If you no longer want him residing there, prepare a thirty (30) day notice to vacate and serve him with it. If he is not out in this time period, you will need to consult with a landlord tenant attorney about bringing an unlawful detainer action against him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption