What to do about an A/C unit that may need repair?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an A/C unit that may need repair?

I own a townhouse where most rentals do not have an A/C unit. My house currently does but I do not want to pay for repairs in the future; I would rather not provide it as part of the rental. However, since the unit is working now and I am sure tenants would appreciate it, could I provide it with a clause that all maintenance, repairs and replacement are the responsibility of the tenant? I would maintain all appliances required to make the townhouse livable, such as the heating, hot water heater and kitchen appliances.

Asked on January 13, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor


You could provide a clause that required the tenant to repair and maintenance the A/C unit. Your agreement should also spell out what is considered proper maintenance so that there are no misunderstandings regarding what is required of the tenant.


Requiring the tenant to make such a limited repair is permissible under the laws in Colorado. However, as a word of caution, if a court determines that your lease, as written, is unconscionable, then you would be required to repair the A/C unit. Even though it will cost you a little bit on the front end, you should have an attorney draft or look over your lease agreement to insure that the wording will uphold a review by the courts. A proactive, well written lease (that you can use over and over) will save you move in the long run than it cost to draft.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption