If I own a timeshare paid in full but want to give it up, will it go as a ding on my credit if I stop paying the maintenance fees?

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I own a timeshare paid in full but want to give it up, will it go as a ding on my credit if I stop paying the maintenance fees?

I no longer want it. There are maintenance fees due every year.

Asked on January 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Most likely the entity that controls the property that you have a time share ownership in very well can report your failure to make good on the mandated maintenance fees of your asset to third party credit reporting agencies.

Should that happen, there will be a "ding" on your credit report.

If you no longer wish to own this time share, you should consider selling it on the secondary market or donating it to a charity for its use as a possible "bid item" for some fund raiser. Once you are no longer of legal ownership of the time share, you no longer have the obligation to make the maintenance fee payments.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption