I own a small business and paid someone up front to build my website be they have not completed the work required?

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I own a small business and paid someone up front to build my website be they have not completed the work required?

It has been 6 months and I am losing money every day that I do not have a website. Isn’t this considered theft? What can I do? Suing him is an option although I know that I would not get anything from him.

Asked on December 23, 2013 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Your situation with the website developer is not theft.  It is breach of contract.  You can sue the website developer for breach of contract.

Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the contract price and costs you incur such as hiring someone else to complete the website or to start over with constructing your website. 

You said that you are "losing money every day that you don't have the website".  If you can document the lost income, you can include that in your damages for breach of contract.  If this is a new business, it may be difficult to prove lost income unless you can show the loss of particular customers.  If you have had an established business for sometime, it may be easier to prove lost income.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption