If I own a house with my ex-wife, how do I get her to co-operate with a sale?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I own a house with my ex-wife, how do I get her to co-operate with a sale?

We are both on the mortgage. She has lived in the house since our divorce 3 years ago. She has recently moved out and is behind on the payments so the property is heading toward foreclosure. I need to list or short sale the house but she won’t provide any information or sign any documents for the realtor, mortgage company or short sale company. What are my options in obtaining this information and cooperation from her?

Asked on January 2, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Ordinarily the marital settlement agreement sets forth the terms and conditions with respect to occupation and payments on the marital home between you and the "ex". As such, I suggest that you carefully read the marital settlement agreement as a start. If the "ex" refuses to cooperate with the sale of the home you will need to file a petition with the court seeking an order that the home be sold and the "ex" to sign all necessary documents.

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to further assist you in the matter.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption