Tenants in common and moving.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Tenants in common and moving.

I own a home with my boyfriend of 5 years as tenants in common. Due to psychological abuse I must move. Is this abandonment? Can he take the house and money?

Asked on June 14, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Um, well, I don't know what you mean by abandonment.  This is not a marriage, wherein you abandon your spouse.  Your house is half yours.  You either must quit claim the property to him, sell him your portion, or after x amount of years (usually 10 or 20), he can claim adverse possession and take it entirely without having to pay you.

So, which way do you wish to handle this? Force a sale? Call a real estate attorney immediately.  Try www.attorneypages.com and check his or her record at the Maryland State Bar.

By the way, this is why unmarried people shouldn't purchase property together -- the protections you have in a divorce are unavailable to you here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption