What to do if I’m a co-owner who wants to sell but the others do not?

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m a co-owner who wants to sell but the others do not?

I own a 12.5% interest in a home. I want to force a partition suit but can’t afford an attorney to shepherd the process though the courts. The house is in Houston TX near the medical center. There are 2 other family members who alsoown portions. One who owns 12.5% also wants to sell. The majority owner can’t buy us out. We want as quick a sale as possible. Can I list my part on Craigslist? Are there other options to sell it?

Asked on November 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can list your percentage of interest in the property for sale that you own on Craigslist and try to sell it to any person that you want it to. The entirety of the property does not have to be sold at once. The problem with selling a fractionalized interest in the property is hard to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption