If I owe up $1200 to a gym and now I am being taken to court, what shouldI do?

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I owe up $1200 to a gym and now I am being taken to court, what shouldI do?

An attorney called and was very threatening. What should my next step should be. He said on the phone that they will be seeking all of my assets and I will still have to pay the court costs as well. He asked for a lump some of the money which I don’t have. I asked if I could be on a payment plan or could work something out with them. He was very rude and continued to say I wasn’t agreeing or willing to work with them, when I was clearly was. I an 19 year old student.

Asked on December 6, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


Rhonda Patterson / The Patterson Law Office, PLLC

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I recommend retaining an attorney to assist you.  There are many rules regarding the practices of debt collectors that the attorney and the gym may be responsible for adhering to.   Your attorney can assist in walking you through the gym contract to see if there is any argument that you are not responsible for the full amount.  Even if you may be responsible, a pre trial settlement and payment plan is likely an option. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption