If I owe the IRS and the city for traffic violations, should I file Chapter 7 or 13?

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I owe the IRS and the city for traffic violations, should I file Chapter 7 or 13?

I owe the IRS from an audit and from not filing taxes for the past 7 years.

Asked on December 13, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Fililng for bankruptcy may not help you. Since it's the government that created bankruptcy as a tool or resource for  debtors, the government has determined what kind of debts may be discharged in bankruptcy. Not surprisingly, the government has chosen to not let most debts for taxes and most debts for finies or penalties owed to government agencies be discharged. The government is not going to let you use its own bankruptcy rules to not pay the government money you owe it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption