I overstayed my Visa, and I want to return to my country voluntarily.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I overstayed my Visa, and I want to return to my country voluntarily.

New Link Destination
make a long story short, I came to Puerto Rico on vacation to visit my boyfriend, and we ended up getting married. The thought of leaving was heartbreaking, so I overstayed. That was 9 years ago, now the spouse is emotionally abusive, and I just want to go back home to England. I would be getting a ticket, my passport doesn’t

expire until next year. I know that I will be barred from entering the U.S. for a minimum of 10 years, which I am completely fine with at this point, but I’d like to know if there are any other consequences, such as detainment or being made to pay a fine.

Asked on June 7, 2017 under Immigration Law


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You mean you entered PR and got married 9 years ago but never did anything as far as documentation to legalize your status?  If that is the case, then yes, if you leave, you will be barred from reentry for 10 years but there are no other consequences.  However, if you believe that you have a case under VAWA, then you should probably consult with an immigration attorney to determine if there are options for you to obtain a green card as an abused spouse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption