If I overstayed my tourist visa for 5 months, am I going to be able to go back to the US?

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I overstayed my tourist visa for 5 months, am I going to be able to go back to the US?

My husband is in the states and is an American citizen. I had to come back Mexico because of a family emergency. Now that I want to go back home to my husband. However, I’m afraid that I won’t be able to do it. I have a tourist visa. If I try to cross by foot the border with my visa, would I have any problems? What else could I do to come back without having any problem?

Asked on March 18, 2012 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

As long as you were not in the US for more than 180 days past the expiration of your I-94 card, you should be able to return to the US once your husband petitions for you and you get the appropriate immigrant visa.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption