What re my rights if a bank breached my privacy?

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What re my rights if a bank breached my privacy?

I opened up a bank account but did not tell anyone because I am an adult and wanted to wait for the right time. Before I could tell my mother, she went to the bank to do some business and my representative let slip I had an account and then tried to cover up her mistake by suggesting my mother and I had integrity problems. I feel like I cannot trust my bank any more, since this is a breach of confidentiality. Is this grounds for legal action?

Asked on March 27, 2014 under Personal Injury, Virginia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You could sue the bank for invasion of privacy for disclosing confidential information about your account.  Your lawsuit should also have a separate cause of action (claim) for breach of fiduciary duty which is the breach of confidentiality by the bank in disclosing information about your account.

You may also have a claim for defamation in your lawsuit because the representative made comments impugning your integrity.  The defamation claim is only viable if the representative made the comments impugning your integrity to a third party. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption