What to do if I need to set up a trust account for my 2 year old with me and my ex-husband as co-trustees?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I need to set up a trust account for my 2 year old with me and my ex-husband as co-trustees?

I do not have a lot of money and would like to know if this is something that I can do on my own.

Asked on January 7, 2013 under Estate Planning, Georgia


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

To know if a trust is appropriate for you, I would have to know why you want to set one up.  If you and your ex-husband simply want to put some money aside for your child as he or she grows up, you can set up a bank account for that purpose.  Talk to a local bank (preferably one that does not charge fees on small accounts) about the kind of accounts you can set up for your child.  You can often create an account that meets your goals without a separate trust document. Even if you had a trust document, contributions to the trust would be voluntary.  You probably do not need an elaborate trust agreement drafted by a lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption