If I quit my job can I collect unemployment?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I quit my job can I collect unemployment?

I need to quit my job of 20 years. My boss owes me several thousand dollars in back pay. My payday changes every month and sometimes he misses it altogether. he pay I receive is sometimes more but most times less. This has just started happening within the last 2 years.

Asked on April 12, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


Timothy Brennan

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In some situations, a person may quit their job and still receive unemployment benefits, if there was a necessitious and compelling reason for quitting. Generally, the failure to pay the claimaint is a necessitious and compelling reason. Also PA has a wage collection law that provides a number of benefits and requires payment. It also is an easier vehicle to sue for compensation. It is the Pennsylvania’s Wage Payment and Collection Law .


Timothy P. Brennan, Esq.

Brennan Law Offices

2030 Tilghman Street, Suite 203

Allentown, PA 18104






Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the States of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Responses are based solely on Pennsylvania law unless stated otherwise.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption