What type of lawyer do I need to obtain my annuity from my union?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What type of lawyer do I need to obtain my annuity from my union?

I’m a current union member in good standing. My problem is that I have came into some financial difficulties I wanted to take my annuity money to take care of my issues n am being told by my union that I cannot take the my out unless I have been unemployed for at least six months,I terminate work, or if I’m working out of my territory for six months. I don’t understand why that is.

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


Archibald J Thomas / Law Offices of Archibald J. Thomas, III, P.A. - Employee Rights Lawyers

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You should look for a lawyer familiar with employee benefit plans.  Generally speaking, the plan document governs your right to withdraw funds.  If you want to know your rights, request a copy of the plan document and review it to determine when and under what circumstances you can withdraw the funds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption