I need to know whatI am entitled to in a divorce?

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I need to know whatI am entitled to in a divorce?

We have been married for 71/2 years. He makes $3500 a month and I make $2100. We have a truck, ATV, and 5th wheel camper together. The house was bought by him before we were married. We also have a house full of belongings. Our son is 5 and is ours, my daughter is 17 and not his biological child but is the only one she has known. I have full time custody of the kids and he has been giving me $200 a month since I moved out.

Asked on July 26, 2011 Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should first consult with a family law lawyer about the subject you ask about. If you live in a community property state, you are entitled to one-half of all community property assets and liabilities. You are entitled to all of your separate property.

You would be entitled to some child support on a monthly basis for children that are your own if these children are living with you. Potentially, you might be entitled to some spousal support for a limited amount of time. Likewise, there should be a child custody/visitiation order in place between you and your former, or soon to be former husband.

County bar associations sometimes have advisors who could help you in the area of your questions as well.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption