How to get back my money from an on-line business?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get back my money from an on-line business?

I made a purchase on-line about a year ago and never received my order. So I finally got a hold of the company a couple weeks ago who said they would refund my money. Then I couldn’t get a hold of them at all so I sent a few nasty emails. Today they finally got back to me and now te guy said he will not give my money back because of the emails. Is that legal and what can I do legally to get my money back?

Asked on December 2, 2011 under General Practice, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No that is not legal. However, you should not have waited so long to begin inquiring about the location of the product you purchased. If you purchased with a credit card, show the credit card company all of your emails by first creating a dispute. This is another reason you need to consider using credit cards when making such transactions. Many credit card companies now truly investigate not just fraudulent activity but activity that has created problems for the consumer, including lost, stolen or damaged items. If you purchased with your bank card, go to the bank and try to see if they can reverse this fee. If the bank can reverse it, close this account after the money hits your account and do not open one at that bank for a while. Nasty emails are inappropriate but they do not disqualify what is duly owed you. Consider filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and also consider filing one with the agencies which can regulate this business or do regulate this business.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption