Can I expect an employer to give reasonable time to turn in a legal document so that I can keep my insurance coverage?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I expect an employer to give reasonable time to turn in a legal document so that I can keep my insurance coverage?

My husband’s employer recently decided to do an insurance audit. They sent a letter demanding a copy of all of our children’s birth certificates and our marriage license. The problem is they sent the notice on April 27th, and demand the documents to be turned in my May 1st. This company only pays my husband once a month, on the 25th of the month. I also get paid once a month on the 25th and we do not get paid enough to pay the bills as it is, even with both of us working full-time jobs. My husband did not see the email letter

until today. So that now leaves us 21 days to file for birth certificates and our marriage certificate, because I cannot find them. Not only that, it will cost us between $159-$210 to pay the fees, which again, we cannot afford. I barely have enough money to pay for gas to get to work for the next 2 weeks So, the only day we could even send the money to pay the fee, to obtain the certificate would be on the 25th of May. I feel that the employer waiting until after payday to send this notice a bit under handed. Most of our checks are already spent, mostly on bills and food, by the first. We make about $25,000 a year combined. He is a custodian, and I am a Teacher Assistant. I am also working full time and a full time student. Even if we were in a better financial situation, coming up with an extra $159 to order the documents would be difficult and a huge burden. I feel that my husband’s employer has not given adequate time to deal with this situation, especially with the fact they waited until after payday to send the notification. Our children are not currently on our medical insurance because they are on Medicaid but they would not be eligible recipients of his life insurance, if we do not meet their demands, even if we turned it in later. The email explicitly expressed that,

Asked on May 11, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Idaho


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Fair and reasonable, on the one hand, and legal, on the other, are two very different things. An employer does not need to give you a reasonable amount of time to get these documents--it is your obligation to maintain and provide them (i.e. for future referene, keep copies at home). They also do not have to care that paying for them is a financial burden--the law, unfortunately does not require them to take that into consideration. So while what you describe is "wrong" in many ways, it is legal--they can require this, and you have to find a way to comply.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption