What to do if I need to get temporary custody of my grandchildren since they are already living with me and their mother has ran off?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I need to get temporary custody of my grandchildren since they are already living with me and their mother has ran off?

Their father is in jail for the second time since the oldest was born. Neither parent has been able to keep a job and both are addicts. I love all three of them so much and just want what is best for them.

Asked on January 4, 2013 under Family Law, Indiana


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to file a custody suit for all three children and ask the court to appoint you as the main conservator of the children.  You would have standing because you are a grandparent and the children have essentially been abandoned with you.  A custody suit begins with the filing of a petition and having both parents served with notice of the suit.  After the petition is filed, you can ask the court to grant you temporary custody while the suit is pending and you are trying to get the parents served.  (If mom can't be found, there are alternative methods of service other than person service) 

Considering that mom has run off and dad is in jail, this is actually a good time for you to file.  Many grandparents think that since the parents are out of the picture that they don't have any reason to worry.... and then one parent comes back into the picture or gets out of jail... and the grandparent panics because they do not want to see the child leave with an unfit parent.  While you have standing and a good basis for filing is the time to initiate a custody suit.  Try to find a family law attorney or legal services group that assists with family law issues to help you get  the ball rolling. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption