What to do if I need to get a divorce from a non US citizen that has a temporary green card?

UPDATED: Nov 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I need to get a divorce from a non US citizen that has a temporary green card?

I live in the US but we got married in the Dominican republic. She has been here for 14 months and her green card expires in 10 months. She also has her 8 year old daughter here living with us. I don’t think I can stay in this relationship another year, even for her daughter. What will happen if we divorce now? How long does a divorce take? She says she doesn’t care if we divorce but I don’t know if she really means that or if the divorce will be uncontested.

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Family Law, Connecticut


Ling Dai / The Dai Law Firm, PLLC

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are divorced while she still has the conditional green card, it is possibile that her status could be terminated by the expiration date. However, she can file a petition to remove her conditions on the residence if she can show that the marraige was entered in good faith, but ended in divorce or annulment.  The time frame for finalizing a divorce depends on jurisdiction and specific courts. In Texas, there is a mandatory waiting period of 60 days after a petition is filed. You may want to consult a family law attorney in your jurisdiction.

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption