In what county should I file for a small claims case?

UPDATED: May 18, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 18, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

In what county should I file for a small claims case?

The complaint is over the purchase of business assets and the fact that the defendant warrantied in the contract that business property taxes were paid when they weren’t. 2 months after closing by a closing attorney I received a tax bill for $7000. I am having trouble determining correct venue. The seller lives in the same county where the business I purchased is located. He has another business under the same LLC as the one that sold me the business, located in a different county. And lastly the registered agent is in a different county than the others. What is the correct venue?

Asked on May 18, 2014 under Business Law, Georgia


Shawn Jackson / The Jackson Law Firm, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, venue will vest in the county where the transaction occured...and/or where the defendant lives. You will want to have an attorney review the purchase agreement along with the tax bill to make sure that everything is covered and understood

Shawn Jackson...California Business Development Attorney

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption